Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Choice Has Been Made: BroEl's Spring Season 2010 Anime Lineup

Well folks, spring is in the air! (at least if you don't live in Utah it is anyways..... ) And with that said, we're onto a brand new season of anime!  This would normally be the kind of post I'd make over on ArizUtaku, but given the fact that Matt pretty much has it taken care of over there, added the fact that he does typically tend to watch more series per season than I do, I've decided this season to make a post of my own on this blog as to which series I'll be following.  I'm probably going to do this on a regular basis as well, which I probably should've been doing since I started doing this blog in the first place, heh heh. ^_^' In any event, I've decided to go with a whole whopping four series, about the same as I went with last season.  Usually I try to go with at least four or five or so, and that's mostly when I've got summer break coming up, where I'd actually have time to follow stuff, heh heh.  I just felt like I overloaded myself far too much with the some-ought 9 or 10 or so I went with during the spring 2008 anime season, and I'd much rather try to keep it more at a minimum from now on.  Especially considering this summer break I'll more than likely be in the hunt for a job to take up a good portion of that time.

So without further adu, here my picks for this season:



Pretty much the only reason why I'll be following this one is because it's a Studio Bones series.  And as such is automatically required for me to give a shot, given the enormous Bones fanboy I am. ;) But even with that aside, you have to be at least somewhat intrigued that none other than Mr. Stan Lee himself has his involvement in this one.  Add on to all of that the fact that no matter how generic or cliche the premise may be, I actually do have quite the taste for series like these, if at it's very lowest level a form of good 'ol fashioned entertaining fun.  And no matter how generic this series may end up being (or how lame it's title is... >.> ) I can say that at the very least, it won't turn out to be the complete and utter ripoff of anything like that pathetic excuse for a series Fairy Tail disappointingly ended up to be......



Two things in particular interest me quite a bit about this series.  The thing at first glance would most definitely have to be the animation style and character designs, as you can see from the picture above.  Just by the look of it alone it screams out to be a series worth watching.  The other would have to be the fact that it's a good 'ol fashioned samurai tale, and I'm always up for one any day.  The only thing that really seems to be discouraging about it though is that apparently the original source material is nothing special, if even that, according to some.  Whatever the case, I'll see for myself whether or not it'll end up being anything worth following.  So far though I must say, I'm at least impressed enough to check it out.



Now this series just looks awesome.  Dark, gritty seinin action series produced by Studio Madhouse, I mean what's not to like?  Unfortunately ANN doesn't have a description of the series so there's not much I know about it's premise, but basically from what Matt said about it over on ArizUtaku, this could very well be one of the most promising series of the season.  And of course depending on how it develops, maybe even one of the best of the year.



All it took to get me to want to see this series were two names in particular: Masaaki Yuasa (Creator of Mind Game, Kemonozume and Kaiba) and Michiru Oshima (Musical score for Fullmetal Alchemist, Le Chevalier D'eon).  And given how much of an artistic masterpiece the past works of both these two have been, no question this series has to already be in contention for best series of 2010.  We'll see how it goes though of course.  Sometimes some of these kinds of series end up a tad bit of a disappointment like Yuasa's Kaiba already did back in '08.  Not that it was a terrible series or that it fell way short of expectations or anything, just that sometimes series like it from what they seem like at first glance can sometimes in comparison to other ingenious works by those same people not quite be on the same level, and expectations can sometimes fall a tad bit short.  Nevertheless though, there's no doubt I have extremely high expectations for this series.  And no doubt it will live up to them, even if they do fall a tad bit short.  I say this especially given how amazing the trailer for it looks already.

So, there you have it then!  Also be sure to look forward to my "first impressions" posts on some of these series over on ArizUtaku coming soon.  Or at least as soon as I can get around to watching the first episodes of them anyways, heh heh. ^_^'

7 comments:

  1. That last one's art reminds me of both Asian King-Fu Generation's cover art and Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei.

    Good picking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I do believe it is the same artist who did Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei. At least I think so anyways. I'll have to look into it. Definitely diging the art style for this series though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, blogger's been very unkind to me as of late for some odd reason..... I'm gonna get this cleared up somehow....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it's being really weird.... It won't let me delete them without deleting all comments for some really odd reason..... And at the same time when I post another comment, it brings them all back, also for some very odd reason....

    ReplyDelete